Attention: We’re in Search of a Rockstar Content StrategistKerry Guard • February 21, 2014 • 6 minutes to read
Are you looking for your next great job?
That one role you can't wait to get out of bed in the morning for? The one that makes you so excited that you can't contain your enthusiasm?
Good: We're hiring!
Take a look at the job description below to see if you're the right fit. If interested, please email us at [email protected] with the subject line 'Content Strategist Application'.
Content Strategist Opportunity
MKG Marketing is looking for a full-time content strategist to work in their San Francisco, Portland or Seattle offices. This position would begin as early as March 2014.
As a content strategist at MKG Marketing, you'll be asked to wear many hats. We're looking for a talented individual to step up to the plate and begin to own and shape the role as they grow into it.
The hire is expected to directly assist the Director of Search Engine Marketing as well as our Creative Director in managing content strategy, community management, search engine marketing and public relations efforts on behalf of our technology and medical clients.
What will you do?
Your time will be focused on these activities:
- Content Strategy
- Community Management
- Search Engine Marketing
- Public Relations
We manage content strategies in the form of development and publishing on behalf of our clients.
On a daily basis, content strategy responsibilities include:
- Managing editorial calendars for both owned and syndicated media channels
- Managing third-party writers
- Daily outreach on behalf of our clients to large media outlets or reporters
- Continue building our proprietary syndicated media network across Technology, Business, News and Medical-related websites
- up-to-date on the latest forms of content and recommending them for our clients' content strategies; gifographics, user-generated content (UGC), video and more
Social media marketing is so 2000-and-late.
We're in the business of helping our clients create communities of active individuals who are interested in interacting with our clients and acting as evangelists for their brand.
On a daily basis, community management tasks include:
- Develop short and long-term strategies to engage both prospective and current customers via social media channels
- Interact with prospective customers on Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.
- Act as a megaphone to broadcast our content out to the world via social media in a strategic, tactical manner
- Test new tools, tactics and communities to understand if there are innovative ways to get in front of our client's target audience
- Managing influencer marketing campaigns on behalf of our clients
Search Engine Marketing
If you're familiar with content marketing and community building, you'd better have some search engine marketing chops.
Examples of search engine marketing responsibilities include:
- Understanding of search engine algorithms and the mechanics that operate between the lines of social media, search algorithms and content
- to tackle new and exciting search ranking factors such as co-influence / co-citation, Google Authorship, Structured Data Markup (Schema) and more as they develop
- Clear love/hate relationship with Matt Cutts and ability to articulate why he's so fantastic/horrible in your own opinion (please be polite!)
Public relations is at the center of online marketing, SEO, social media marketing and online journalist. There's a lot of opportunity here, and we'd like you to help us take a leap into the fray.
Public relations responsibilities would include:
- Outreach across social media, email and phone (if necessary) to help us place stories in mainstream and digital news outlets
- Outreach to help us continue to build our proprietary syndicated media network of websites, newspapers and magazines within our content marketing ecosystem
Qualifications: Who are you?
- Have 1 - 2 years of marketing agency experience, specifically in the field of public relations, social media management, or content strategy
- Looking for an opportunity to join a small, nimble and talented team of marketers whose goal is to help our clients discover and communicate their purpose. And yes, we do truly mean that company's purpose; why does your company exist? How can we communicate your mission to the world?
- Data driven! We need folks who are interested in quantitative and qualitative data; reading it, deciphering it and focusing on what to do next, not simply what has already happened in the past.
- Strong writer! We believe that written communication is an art; show us you're a persuasive writer.
- Strong verbal communicator is needed. You'll be talking directly to clients and we need to be comfortable that you're sharp witted as well as can think on your feet. This is a role you can really step into and own; we want you to not only be comfortable stepping up to the plate but really WANT TO STEP UP.
- Bonus: Have an active blog or online community.
- Bonus: Google Analytics training, Google Ads certification, Microsoft AdCenter certification, experience in community management.
- Bonus: Understand WordPress, SquareSpace or similar CMS platforms.
Expectations & Compensation
- This is a three-month contract-to-hire position. We want both parties to love working with each other at the end of 90 days; if that isn't the case, then we're more than happy to go our separate ways.
- Additionally, if you're hired full time we'd love to continue growing the company to a point where you'd be able to hire a partner in crime; somebody to help shoulder the load! Think of this opportunity as one with a lot of upward mobility in terms of advances in title, pay and responsibility based on performance and fit within the company.
- Full time job but we are not your typical 9-5ers. We're dedicated to not only our jobs, but our families and therefore work flexible hours. Our search director works from 6AM - 4PM while our Creative Director is a night owl. We're online as a team from about 9-5 but it's the before or after hours when the real magic happens.
- If hired full time at the end of 90 days, you'll be eligible for our FTE perks package that includes a personal health record from Zweena Health, $50 in reimbursements for Uber/Lyft/Sidecar rides with proof of work-related receipt well as $100 in monthly credit to spend on Coursera, Lynda or Amazon Learning courses.
- Business Finders Fee: If you bring in new business you better bet your a** we'll acknowledge your effort by paying out bonuses of 10% of the lifetime value of the contract for the duration of your employment.
- Hourly pay of $25 - $40 per hour, depending on experience during the contract period.
- Salary pay of $50,000 - $70,000 if hired full time after 90 day depending on experience.