Choosing the Right Client & Agency Partnership
By Kerry Guard on May 8, 2012
After reading this ClickZ article, Choosing the Right Partner: The Client-Agency Relationship, we wanted to pass along a couple tips the author shared about building the right client / agency relationship.
Tip #1: Make Sure the Agency's Skills Closely Align With Your Needs
- Situation: Many client-agency relationships fail because there is a mismatch between client needs and agency capabilities
- Solution: When brands are evaluating agencies' capabilities, they should keep the following items in mind:
- Have a clear understanding of what you want and what you need
- Don't let flashy presentation materials woo you -- make sure that the agency can deliver on their pitch
Tip #2: Make Sure the Agency Has a Proven Track Record
- Situation: Oftentimes, agencies have a tough time delivering their pitched solution on time, under budget and at a high quality of work
- Solution: Verify the following things:
- Track Record: What similar clients or programs have they executed before? How did they perform?
- Their Process: What makes their process special? Can they articulate why it works?
Tip #3: Make Sure the Agency Can Play Well With Others
- Situation: Clients tend to tap numerous agencies to deliver on offline, digital and creative marketing needs
- Solution: Ask the following questions:
- Experience: What other clients has this agency 'split duties' with across a set of marketing partners?
- Process: When working with other agencies, what processes are put in place?
What other tips does your brand have to share?
Mike Krass | CEO & All-Around Nice Guy MKG Marketing </span>
Aside from being the CEO of MKG Marketing, Mike is a dark beer aficionado with a healthy appetite for travel and pushing personal boundaries. A proud graduate of the Edward R. Murrow School of Communication at Washington State University, Mike currently calls San Francisco home. Feel free to contact him via Twitter & Email: Twitter email@example.com </div>