Job Posting: SEO Manager @ MKG Marketing
By Kerry Guard on March 7, 2018
Overview of the Role and this Posting
Hello! The client portfolio at MKG Marketing is growing and the biggest need we have is a SEO manager.
To be clear on timing for this hire: Our goal is to hire this person in the next 30-60 days.
Job Purpose: What will this person do?
The SEO Manager will assist our existing SEO stakeholders with the creation of Organic Search strategy and execution.
This hire will be comfortable working with companies in the following industries:
- Enterprise Technology
- Open Source Software/SaaS
During the interview process we will tell candidates the customers they will be working on.
The key skills required to be successful in this role are noted below.
Key Skills Required
- Keyword Research and Strategy: Experience using industry-leading tools such as BrightEdge, Google Search Console and Bing Webmaster Tools to perform extensive keyword research and recommend strategy to our customers.
- Content Strategy: “Quarterbacking” our technology clients on what content to create, maintaining a calendar and being the “general” on the content field of battle (blogging, site content, off-site content, etc)
- On-Page SEO: Ability to dissect every optimizable element of a URL to provide on-page optimizations that will help increase the search engine results page (SERP) ranking for that URL.
- Off-Page SEO: Good content ‘earns’ links. But we still need to identify any good inbound linking opportunities both with one-offs as well as setting a strategy on targeted inbound link opportunities.
- SEO Opportunity Prospecting: We want proactive individuals who know how to look for SEO opportunities for our clients. We don’t adhere to the Ronco “set it and forget” model; we look for new opportunities for improve rankings or compete in new keyword categories.
- Assisting with Web Analytics (for search): While our Digital marketing analyst leads all analytics activities, the SEO Manager will provide expertise for a cadence of reports (monthly/quarterly/annual recaps).
- Technical Experience: Part of the fun of SEO is learning about new businesses and their products / solutions. We want an individual who likes this aspect and is comfortable with learning about highly technical industries (container management, blockchain technology, etc.).
Specific Measures of Success: Tangible tasks we measure performance against
- On-Page Optimization Output: Ability to finish 25 on-page SEO recommendations in 5 business days.
We don’t want to see sloppy work, but we want to see that you know your stuff, have a process, and can complete this process.
- Follow-through: Completing the cycle of keyword opportunity discovery, recommendations, and reporting success follow-through.
- Comprehensive and Critical On-Page Eye: We want to see your critical eye on a page. What’s the user intent supposed to be? How does that reflect keyword targeting? And go above and beyond title tags and meta descriptions; what else can you touch on the page to optimize it?
- Communication Skills: Have the ability to walk through your recommendations with the client in a way they understand. In short: Explain the “why” behind your recommendation.
- Understanding: You can talk about the client’s products / solutions completely. We work with clients that have complicated solutions; to produce effective work we need to understand their business.
- 5+ years of On-Page SEO experience
- 5+ years of Content Strategy and Marketing (can overlap with existing SEO experience)
- 5+ years of experience communicating SEO strategy, execution and results to internal stakeholders and external clients.
- 5+ years of experience using Google Search Console and Bing Webmaster Tools
- Experience using BrightEdge, Screaming Frog, and SpyFu
- Google Analytics IQ certification
- Ability to take and pass a SEO practice exercise designed by MKG Marketing’s Director of Search Engine Marketing.
- Ability to work remotely a requirement. Proof of work setup must be visually shown.
- Able to travel (expense paid by company) upwards of three times a quarter.
Why Work for MKG
This initial offer is a full-time contractor position. This will be a 90 day trial position working 40 hours per week.
The hire would work for approximately 40 hours per week (160 each month) and must be present for any/all client meetings.
Following the 90 day trial period, a few outcomes can happen on day 91:
- Part ways amicably
- Extend a full time position offer
If a full time position is offered at the conclusion of 90 day trial period, here are the benefits to be aware of:
- Flexibility: We are a family-oriented company and want our team members to be happy both at work and at home. Ask some of our team members about how flexible MKG is as a company :)
- Base Salary: TBD based on experience / market factors
- Health coverage: We offer healthcare benefits that includes medical (United Healthcare), dental (Guardian), and vision (Guardian). MKG subsidizes 100% of the first $500 of your health coverage.
- Retirement/401k/Savings Plan: MKG Marketing Inc. offers 100% match for up to 4% of your gross salary (Safe Harbor plan).
- A mandatory 20 days of vacation time: FTE’s take at least one month (20 business days) of vacation every year. Use it or lose it!
- Annual stipend of $1,500 to spend on anything work related. Monitors. 1 GB lightning fast Internet. Whatever you want!
- Bonus.ly Employee Recognition: Earn MKG stars that can be cashed in for Amazon gift cards. These stars are handed out by your colleagues in recognition of you kicking a$$ and taking names - in other words, we want you to be recognized for being a complete rock star!
- New Business Finders Fee: 5% finders fee for bringing in net new business for brand new clients. Calculated as 5% of the gross value of the first contract signed (project) or the first month’s retainer (retainer - ongoing).
Interested? Here is how to get in touch to get the process started!
Send an email with the subject line “Is SEO a verb?” to email@example.com
Please do not include any cover letter or resume. In place of a resume or cover letter just send us a link to your LinkedIn profile.
Once you’ve followed those steps somebody will reach back out to you to say “Hello!” and let you know what comes up next.